Preity Zinta Biography
Preity Zinta was born in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. Her father, Durganand Zinta was an officer in the Indian Army. Preity Zinta‘s father died when she was thirteen, in a car accident in which her mother, Nilprabha was also involved. Her mother was bedridden because of this same accident. She has two brothers (Deepanker Zinta and Manish Zinta) and one is a commissioned officer in the Indian Army.
Preity Zinta studied at the Convent of Jesus and Mary School, Shimla. At first she was going to do a English honours but decided to pursue psychology. She also attended Bombay University. After getting a degree in criminal psychology at the St. Bedes College, Zinta began her career as a model and commercial (ad films) actress (she was seen in Lyril’s soap ad film). From auditioning for a Shekhar Kapur movie while accompanying a friend and even getting selected to finally emerge as Bollywood’s style diva and a versatile actress, Preity has come a long way proving that there is more to her than chubby cheeks and a dimpled smile.
Preity Zinta‘s penchant for speaking her mind; be it about her onscreen/off-screen life or raising a voice against any injustice prevailing in society, Preity has always been forthright and headstrong about her opinions. Once Preity Zintasaid, “You know what’s the worst part about being an actress? It’s the pressure to look gorgeous all the time and to behave perfectly. But I’m not perfect, nobody is.”
Preity Zinta was the only one to admit having received underworld threats while filming ‘Chori Chori Chupke Chupke’, as opposed to many Bollywood ‘heroes’ who turned hostile! Preity didn’t even shy away from filing a defamation case against a publication which dragged her name into the controversy while exposing the ‘Salman-Aishwarya’ tape.
Preity Zinta played a feisty journalist in ‘Lakshya’, a schizophrenic in ‘Armaaan’, a highly ambitious fashion editor in ‘Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna’, an independent woman involved in a live-in relationship in ‘Salaam Namaste’, a New Yorker in ‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’, a shy yet hip Shalini in ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ and a Pakistani woman who dedicates her life to her lover in ‘Veer Zaara’. Preity has experimented not only with the kind of roles she plays but also different looks that suit different character.
Preity Zinta has had her share of heartbreaks too. From splitting up with fashion choreographer and former model Marc Robinson to parting ways with ex-boyfriend Dutchman Lars Kjeldsen, Preity has never kept her love life under wraps unlike any other Bollywood celebrity. The last was the breakup with industrialist Ness Wadia.
Preity Zinta Filmography
- Jhoom Barabar Jhoom (2007 Cast: Abhishek Bacchan, Bobby Deol, Preity Zinta, Lara Dutta)
- Jaan-E-Mann (2006) Post-production
- Krrish (2006)Nisha Special Appearance
- Alag (2006)Special Appearance in song Sabse Alag
- Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006) (Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Abhishek Bachchan, Priety Zinta, Arjun Rampal, Kiron Kher)
- Salaam Namaste (2005)( Saif Ali Khan, Priety Zinta, Arshad Warsi, Tania Zaetta)
- Khullam Khulla Pyaar Karen (2005)Priti
- Veer Zaara (2004)( Shah Rukh Khan, Priety Zinta, Rani Mukherjee)
- Dil Ne Jise Apna Kaha (2004)( Salman Khan, Priety Zinta, Bhumika Chawla)
- Lakshya (2004)( Hrithik Roshan, Priety Zinta, Amitabh Bachchan)
- Kal Ho Na Ho (2003)( Shah Rukh Khan, Priety Zinta, Saif Ali Khan)
- Koi Mil Gaya (2003)( Hrithik Roshan, Priety Zinta, Rekha)
- Armaan (2003) (Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor, Gracy Singh, Priety Zinta)
- The Hero (2003)( Sunny Deol, Priety Zinta, Priyanka Chopra)
- Dil Hai Tumhara (2002) ( Priety Zinta, Mahima Chaudhary, Arjun Rampal)
- Yeh Raaste Hai Pyar Ke (2001) ( Ajay Devgan, Priety Zinta, Madhuri Dixit)
- Dil Chahta Hai (2001)( Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Preity Zinta, Dimple Kapadia, Sonali Kulkarni)
- Chori Chori Chupke Chupke (2001)( Salman Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Priety Zinta, Johnny Lever)
- Farz (2001)( Sunny Deol, Preity Zinta)
- Mission Kashmir (2000)( Hrithik Roshan, Sanjay Dutt, Priety Zinta)
- Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega (2000)( Salman Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Priety Zinta)
- Kya Kehna! (1999)( Priety Zinta, Saif Ali Khan, Chandrachur Singh, Anupam Kher, Farida Jalal)
- Sangharsh (1999)( Akshay Kumar, Priety Zinta, Ashutosh Rana)
- Dillagi (1999)Rani Guest Appearance
- Raja Kumarudu (1999)Rani Telugu
- Premante (1998)Idera Sailaja Telugu
- Soldier (1998)Preeti Singh
- Dil Se (1998)Preeti Nair Winner, Filmfare Best Debut Award