Shahrukh Khan Biography
Shahrukh Khan was born on 2th november 1965 in Delhi. Shahrukh Khan describes on his birth: “On 2nd November 1965 a normal occurrence happened at the Talwar Nursing Home in New Delhi. Just like many newborns, I was born with the umbilical cord entangled around my neck. A nurse said that it was by the blessings of Hanuman and that I would be a very lucky child. I don’t know if I believe in it but it is the one thing I was told by my parents about my birth that I remember.”
Shahrukh Khan was broughtup in Delhi, the family (Muslim family of Pathan origin) lived in Rajinder Nagar. His father was in Transportation Bussiness(dealing with tempos, trucks) and mother a house wife. He had done his schooling from ‘St. Columba’s school’,Hansraj College, Delhi University and from ‘Jamia Millia Islamia’ he had done Masters Degree in Mass Communication.
Shahrukh started his career on a TV serial called “Fauji” which has given him instant recognition. He also acted in another TV soap called “Circus”. His debut film was Deewana opposite the late actress Divya Bharti which was a big hit. This opened the doors of film industry for him. He was playing a second hero in it but his work was appreciated. His first film was actually supposed to be Dil Aashna Hai but Deewana released first. The same year he appeared in films such as Chamatkar, the controversial art film Maya Memsaab etc. This film was very controversial because it had an “explicit for Bollywood” sex scene between Khan and actress Deepa Sahi. Then came Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman”. After that there was no looking back. In 1993 he attracted a great deal of attention with two successive negative roles in Baazigar (as an anti-hero and murderer) and Darr (as an obsessed lover) which became huge hits at the box office and shot him to stardom. 1995 was a very successful year for Khan. Shah Rukh Khan has won several awards for his outstanding performance in Darr (1994), Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Baadshah (1999) …etc. He also formed a popular screen couple with Kajol.
Shahrukh Khan also runs a production company “Dreamz Unlimited” with another two partners. One is actress, friend, co-star Juhi Chawla and another is director and friend Aziz Mirza. The production company has produced three of his films, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Asoka and Chalte Chalte. With the exception of Chalte Chalte which was a hit, the other two flopped at the box office. In 2004 another of his production houses, Red Chilies Entertainment, produced film Main Hoon Na which was his second hit under his own production house. He also co-produced the horror film Kaal in 2005 with Karan Johar. He then produced Paheli, which was India’s selection for the Academy awards consideration in the foreign films category.
“When I started out there was no fixed plan in my head that I have to achieve ‘xyz’; or I have to get ‘N’ number of awards or hits – there’s never been a height which I wanted to jump over. I’ve just kept working and things have just happened – even bad things; but the good things have outnumbered the bad. As long as that continues and the balance doesn’t shift, I think I won’t be thrown out.” Said Shahruk Khan.
Shahrukh Khan Personal Life
Shahruk Khan married his college love Gauri Chibba who is a Hindu, before coming into films. The most talented and hard working actor known to have an inflated ego, for which he works hard to keep it floating. He is having two children a son “Aryaan” and a daughter Suhana. He loves his children very much. Aryan Khan appeared in a scene in the film Kabhi Kushi Kabhie Gham, playing the younger version of the character played by his father. Aryan also collaborated with his father in dubbing the movie The Incredibles into Hindi and voiced Robert “Bob” Parr/Mr. Incredible in the dub. The film was released in India as Hum Hain Lajawaab.
Lives in a palatial heritage mansion called Mannat (formerly Villa Vienna) at Bandra’s Bandstand, in the city of Mumbai – a city where many Bollywood stars can only afford apartments, especially in the city’s most expensive areas. The mansion is rumored to have cost more than 130 million rupees (13 crores).
Khan’s life-size wax statue is available in Madame Tussauds wax museum, London, installed in April 2007.
Shahrukh Khan Awards
- 2008 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Chak De India
- Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (Order of the Arts and Literature) award of the French government for his “exceptional career”
- Rajiv Gandhi Award for Excellence in the Field of Entertainment(2002)
- Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award from the Government of India(2005)
- 2005 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Swades
- 2003 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Devdas
- 2001 – Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance for Mohabbatein
- 1999 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- 1998 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Dil To Pagal Hai
- 1996 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
- 1995 – Filmfare Best Villain Award for Anjaam
- 1994 – Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance for Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa
- 1994 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Baazigar
- 1993 – Filmfare Best Debut Award for Deewana
Shahrukh Khan Filmography
- Om Shanti Om (2007 Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Arjun Rampal, Kirron Kher, Shreyas Talpade, Javed Sheikh, Asawari Joshi, Bindu, Nitish Pandey, Yuvika Choudhary, Lara Dutta)
- Chak De India (2007)
- Don – The Chase Begins Again (2006- Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Ishaa Koppikar, Kareena Kapoor, Mallika Sherawat)
- Shakti The Power (Shah Rukh Khan, Karisma Kapoor, Sanjay Kapoor, Nana Patekar, Deepti Naval and Aishwarya Rai)
- Main Hoon Na (2004- Shah Rukh Khan, Sushmita Sen, Zayed Khan, Amrita Rao )
- Veer-Zaara (2004)
- Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)
- Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995)
- Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna
- Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani
- Chalte Chalte
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
- Deewana (1992)