Vidya Balan Biography
Vidya Balan was born in January 1, 1982 at Palghat, Kerala, and she graw up in Mumbai, India. Her father PR Balan is the Vice President of ETC Channel and her mother is a home maker. She has an older sister, Priya. Vidya Balan studied in St. Xavier’s College and later the Mumbai University. She graduated from college with a Sociology degree. She speaks several languages including Tamil, English, Hindi, Malayalam, and Bengali.
Vidya Balan’s first movie is a malayalm film named Chakram opposite Mohanlal. Her first film was was abandoned mid-way through production.
After making her debut in television advertising as a model for a Surf Excel advertisement in 1998, she proceeded to do over 25 TV ads, and music videos (Euphoria, Shubha Mudgal and Pankaj Udhas), Hindi TV soap operas (Hanste Khelte and Hum Paanch) and a Bengali movie, Bhaalo Theko, for which she won the Best Actress Anand Lok Puraskar award in Kolkata. She was also in a Raza.com commercial played all over the world, featuring Shaan’s song Tanha Dil.
In 2005, Balan debuted in her first feature film Parineeta, a Vidhu Vinod Chopra production in Hindi, directed by Pradeep Sarkar. The film met with widespread critical and commercial acclaims. Vidya Balan was the face of Parineeta, even though it boasted of a star cast like Sanjay Dutt and Saif Ali Khan.
Vidya Balan’s second film revolved around Munnabhai (Sanjay Dutt) and Circuit (Arshad Warsi), and Vidya made sure the nation said, ‘Goooddd Morrrrning’. Lage Raho Munnabhai has become a huge hit, and Vidya Balan has joined the big league, with films like Mani Ratnam’s Guru, Nikhil Advani’s Salaam-E-Ishq and Rajkumar Santoshi’s Halla Bol to her credit.
Vidya Balan Awards
- 2005, Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer – Female, Parineeta
- 2005, Stardust Superstar of Tomorrow – Female, Parineeta
- 2005, Filmfare Best Debut Award, Parineeta
- 2005, Zee Cine Award Best Female Debut, Parineeta
- 2005, IIFA Award Best Female Debut, Parineeta
Vidya Balan Filmography
- Halla Bol (2008 )
- Lucky Charm (2008 )
- Mukti (2008 )
- Om Shanti Om (2007 Cast: Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Arjun Rampal, Kirron Kher, Shreyas Talpade, Javed Sheikh, Asawari Joshi, Bindu, Nitish Pandey, Yuvika Choudhary, Lara Dutta, Vidya Balan)
- Chandramukhi (2007)
- Eklavya (2007 Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan, Sharmila Tagore, Sanjay Dutt, Vidya Balan, Raima Sen, Jackie Shroff, Jimmy Shergill and Boman Irani )
- Bhool Bhulaiyaa (2007 Cast: Akshay Kumar, Vidya Balan, Amisha Patel, Shiny Ahuja, Paresh Rawal and Rajpal Yadav)
- Untitled Pradeep Sarkar/Yash Chopra Film (2007)
- Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006)(Cast: Sanjay Dutt, Vidya Balan, Arshad Warsi, Boman Irani, Dia Mirza)
- Dasavatharam (2006- Vidya Balan)
- Rahgeer (2006 – Vidya Balan)
- Halla Bol (2006- Vidya Balan)
- Hey Baby (2007) … (filming)
- Guru (2007 Cast: Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai, R. Madhavan, Vidya Balan, Mithun Chakraborty, Mallika Sherawat )
- Salaam E Ishq: A Tribute To Love 2006 ( Cast: Salman Khan, Anil Kapoor, Akshaye Khanna, Juhi Chawla, Govinda, Sonali Bendre, John Abraham, Priyanka Chopra, Sohail Khan, Ayesha Takia,Vidya Balan, Ishaa Koppikar, Perizaad Zorabian, Anjana Sukhani and Shannon Esrechowitz)
- Parineeta ( 2005, Cast: Saif Ali Khan, Vidya Balan, Sanjay Dutt, Raima Sen) (Winner, Filmfare Best Debut Award, IIFA 2006 Awards)
- Bhaalo Theko
- Chakram (Malayalam; Cast: Mohanlal, Vidya Balan)